Friday, July 26, 2013

DIY Cherry Blossom Canvas


DIY Cherry Blossom Canvas

So, a month after we moved into the new house, I was sick of looking at the bare walls in the house, but didn't want to spend a ton of money on anything. I was on Pinterest just about every single day looking for new art projects to decorate the new house! I came across one that I really loved, here, and knew immediately I wanted to do it for the living room. The original idea used vinyl wall decals, which was a great idea, but I decided to go another route, and it was super easy!

So I went to Michael's to get all of the supplies: 
4 canvases of different sizes (I used 2 12x24 and 2 14x16)
1 pack of flower/cherry blossom stencils
3 tubes of colored acrylic paint (I chose black, red, and white)



Then I got to work painting (using a foam brush). The red was a lot lighter than I expected, so to make it seem darker, I decided to paint a layer of black under the red so a little of the black would show through.



Here's what the canvases looked like when I was done...


So far, so good, right? It was turning out so much better than I was expecting. Still, I was too scared to start stenciling right away, so my friend and I took scratch paper, then stenciled and cut out a bunch of the flowers and set them on the canvases. 


Then, with help from my amazing boyfriend, one by one I took off the paper flowers and stenciled the flowers, using white for the flowers and black for the branches. 

And voila! Here's what it looked like all finished on the floor of our garage: 


Total, the project took maybe 3 or 4 hours, tops, and it was so easy. Here's what it looks like hanging in our living room! I love it every time I see it, and was much cheaper than just buying canvas art.


Let me know what you think! I'd love to see if you do one yourself! 

No comments:

Post a Comment